Cairns Dental Hygiene
At Future Dental, we take dental hygiene seriously and see it as an important part of ensuring you have your teeth for life. Some of our dental hygiene services are listed below.
Cairns dental hygiene diagnostic services include:
- Evaluation and assessment of your periodontal (gum) tissue
- Evaluating your risks of severe or even life-threatening disease caused by gum disease
- Necessary cavity and bone level detecting X-rays
- Checking your biting, chewing and swallowing patterns
- Evaluating possible cosmetic enhancements of your smile with a special interest in teeth whitening
- Evaluating causes and recommendations for treatment of any concerns
Cairns dental hygiene preventative services include:
- Oral cancer examination and screening
- Assessing your bacterial count and risk for dental decay (caries)
- Application of pit and fissure sealants
- Cleaning and scaling of teeth to remove all plaque and calculus (tartar)
- Removal of all surface stains from teeth
- Polishing your gold, silver or composite resin fillings or crowns
- Custom mouthguards
Cairns dental hygiene educational services:
- Tooth brushing and flossing instruction
- Personalised oral home care regime with recommendations of the best products to use at home
- Dietary advice and counselling to reduce oral disease.
- Education about your particular risk factors for oral health problems
- Assessing whether parents are actually spreading the bacteria that cause tooth decay to their own children and babies
- Assessing your risk of gum disease as a potential cause of heart attack, stroke and other serious or even life-threatening diseases and conditions.
The serious side of poor dental hygiene
Did you know that dental caries (tooth decay) is a transmissible disease most commonly spread to children by parents and relatives quite innocently?
Did you know that your risk of heart attack or stroke caused by moderate to severe gum disease is twice that of having high cholesterol?
The bacteria that infect your gums in periodontal disease cause your body to produce C-Reactive Proteins (CRPs). CRPs are linked to the development of fatty deposits or plaques that line your major blood vessels. The plaques are apt to break off and be pushed through your arteries until they lodge in and block smaller arteries in your heart, brain or lungs. The result is a heart attack or stroke.
Moderate to severe gum disease is now known to also cause other serious and at times life-threatening conditions such as:
- Kidney disease
- Premature and low birth weight babies
- Infective Endocarditis
- Increase of breast cancer risk in post-menopausal women
- Pneumonia and lung disease
- and is thought to be associated with Alzheimer’s Disease and Osteoporosis.
Why is it important to limit my sugar intake?
It is important as each time you eat foods with sugar, you are basically feeding the bacteria in your mouth. This can eventually cause tooth decay.
How can I make brushing fun for my child?
We recommend playing one of their favourite songs to make them enjoy brushing their teeth. Also, don’t forget to have a song that goes for around 2 minutes as this will encourage them to not take shortcuts with their brushing.
Why should I chew sugar-free gum?
By chewing sugar-free gum, you are helping to prompt your mouth to produce more saliva, which can neutralise acid attacks from decay.
Browse the dental hygiene products we currently stock at Future Dental
Oral B Vitality Precision Clean
Oral B Professional Care 5000
Oral B Triumph with Smart Guide
Childrens Electric Toothbrush Head
Sensitive Brush Head
Rev Refresher Pack
NeutraFluor 5000 Plus Toothpaste 56g
NeutraFluor 5000 Sensitive Toothpaste 115g
GC Dry Tooth Mousse/Plus
Day White – 3 x Syringe Pack
Nite White – 3 x Syringe Pack
Rev Refresher Starter Pack
Oral Health Aids
Oral B – End Tufted Brush
Piksters Size 0 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 1 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 2 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 3 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 4 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 5 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 6 – Pack of 10
Piksters Size 7 – Pack of 10
Dental Pro Brush XXS – XS
Tepee Brush Small
Tepee Brush Medium
Oral B Professional Care Oxyjet
Low cost Ultrasonic Denture and Appliance Cleaners
Curasept Oral Rinse 200ml
Peroxyl Oral Cleaner 236ml
Anti-Cavity – Carifree Treatment Rinse (118ml)
Anti-Cavity – Carifree Maintenance rinse (473ml)
Curasept Anti-discolouration Mouthrinse
Savacol 375ml – Alcohol Free
Freshen 500ml – Designed to Freshen Breath
Freshen 1ltr – Designed to Freshen Breath
Chloro Fluor Gel 30ml
Val Clean Denture Cleaner Sachet
Multi Oral Sachet
GC Dry Mouth Gel
Carifree Cavity Fighting Xyli-tots Lollipops