Dental Crowns Cairns
Effectively restore and protect your mouth’s function and appearance
Crowns, commonly referred to as “caps”, are dental restorations that cover over and entirely encase the visible portion of a tooth. In comparison, fillings only fill in or cover a small portion of a tooth. Crowns last for decades and look beautiful.
There are several reasons why a tooth needs a crown:
- To strengthen a tooth. A tooth that has lost 50% or more of its coronal tooth structure is very weak, even when filled with the best fillings materials available. We usually recommend that a heavily filled or decayed tooth be crowned before it collapses.
- To restore a tooth to its original shape. A tooth that is broken or that is very worn down from years of grinding is often flattened and ineffectual at chewing. A crown would be the ideal method of restoring a tooth’s anatomy to provide an efficient chewing surface and very aesthetic result.
- To improve the cosmetic appearance of a tooth. A crown encases the entire visibility of a tooth and can, therefore, be used to idealise the cosmetic appearance of a tooth. Crowns can correct cosmetic problems such as discolouration, crowding and poor alignment, and aberrations in size and shape of a tooth.
- To stop the progression of Cracks and Cracked Tooth Syndrome (CTS). A cracked tooth initially presents with a sudden sharp pain when biting down, which immediately subsides once you release the biting pressure. Often hot, cold or sweet foods and drinks will cause sudden sharp pain in cracked teeth. A tooth that is greatly weakened by a crack will often die if untreated. A crack in a tooth is like a crack in a windscreen. They only get worse and if left long enough will allow bacteria into the nerve causing an abscess and the need for either an extraction or a root canal treatment.
- To restore a tooth that has gone through root canal therapy. Not only are they more prone to breakage but those breakages are usually un-restorable and the entire tooth will then need surgical removal. This is a great shame after you went through the inconvenience and high cost of a root canal treatment.
One Visit Crowns
As you know now, Future Dental is always bringing you the latest and best technologies.
One Visit Crowns are a new and unique technology that gives the benefit of a laboratory-made all-ceramic crown but can be placed immediately after preparing the tooth in the same 40-50 minute appointment. Not only that but also the fee is around 50% of the fee of our in-house built EMAX all ceramic crowns that we fit on the same day a few hours after preparation.
These One Visit Crowns (OVCs) in most cases supersede our previous option of using Lava Ultimate for mid-term crowns while waiting for the permanent all ceramic or gold crown. OVCs are stronger, more durable and long-lasting than Lava Ultimate.
Aesthetically they look almost identical to our EMAX BIODOME CROWNS and can be prepared in the same tooth conserving manner as EMAX.
OVCs can be done where just one crown is required or as part of a case where multiple crowns are required and where the overall cost is very high. This is a big cost saving.
Not everyone can afford the cost of multiple permanent crowns all at once or is happy to have a payment plan to cover the cost of their treatment.
We may be able to place permanent EMAX or gold crowns on the rear-most teeth to support the remaining teeth requiring crowns while placing One Visit Crowns in the interim and these should be a good (a) robust mid-term solution.
What types of crowns are available?
There are basically five different types of crowns available but that does not mean they fit all crown needs.
- All-Ceramic Crowns
- Full Gold Crowns
- Porcelain Fused To Metal Crowns
- One Visit Crowns
- Provisional Crowns
How do I know what type of crown is best for me?
To best determine which type of crown you need, we will need to perform a thorough assessment of your teeth, your bite and your smile. Future Dental is at the very leading edge in all areas of dentistry including the safest and most aesthetic crowns.